The Home Science subject falls under the Creative and Technical Arts Department.
It is offered in the 8-4-4 curriculum at present and Food and Nutrition will be introduced in the IGCSE curriculum in 2015.
MKASS had the first candidate class sit the KNEC Home Science exam in 2013. The results are yet to be published though there’s hope they students did well being a pioneer class.
The Home Science Lab at MKASS is well equipped with assorted modern kitchen equipment and sewing machines. This allows the leaners to practice using the equipment as they do the practical work in sewing and cookery.
The lab is also adequately stocked in terms of expendable /consumable resources ranging from fabric to assorted food items and supplies.
Topics taught in general include;
- Foods and Nutrition
- Nutritional Disorders
- Deficiency Diseases
- Child Care
- Maternal health Care
- Home Management
- Personal Grooming and Hygiene
- First Aid and Care for the sick at home
- Laundry work
- Kitchen Appliances Use, Choice and Care
- Environmental Hygiene
- Interior Design –Hard and Soft Furnishings
- Clothing and Garment Construction
- Repair and Maintenance of Clothes
- Consumer Education
Aims of teaching the subject
The aim is to instil life skills and health which is beneficial to all in class and in life in general. This subject is pretty much hands on and has attracted a good number of students.
More specifically the following is desired of all;
- Awareness be raised in feeding habits and food choices
- Manage to prepare at least a balanced diet for breakfast, lunch or Supper
- Serve the Food items in an attractive manner
- Exercise good grooming in school and at home
- Manage the Environment without compromise
- Appreciate Style and Design
- Maintain Clothes and do basic repair on garments
- Be a wise/Shrewd Consumer given the diverse market outlets
- Care for ones health in pregnancy (girls) and prospective fathers to be sensitized of the needed care
- Care for the child from birth to adulthood
A host of careers which one can pursue after having studied Home Science are
- Food Science
- Interior Design
- Clothing Designer
- Cabin Crew Attendant
- Community Worker
- Any Culinary Field
Cookery Club/Crafts Club
- A cookery Club has recently been launched with Ms Mary Githitho as the Patron. It has, as usual attracted a good number of students.
- The aim is to have the students learn some crafts and cookery skills even if they do not take Home Science as an examinable subject.
- The club meets weekly on Thursday after school in the Home Science room. The 2 subject teachers work as a team to fulfil the objectives of the Club.
- The Home Science department is very instrumental in ensuring that any guests being hosted at the school are well taken care of especially in the food service division. This is in close collaboration with the Kitchen department.
- We also assist students with basic repair work of garments in case of an emergency.
Our department appreciates the support it has received from management having only registered Home Science students in KCSE for the first time. We hope to send out leaders who have basic life skills to put into practice especially when they move out the comfort of their parents homes.
“Eat well today for you need your body healthy for the rest of your life”