HEADS OF YEAR AND CLASS GROUPS
Mkass boasts a well-structured Pastoral Care system whose role is to ensure the well being and comfort of every child. It is headed by the Deputy Principal - Pastoral who is then assisted by three Heads of Year, namely Head of Form 4 and Year 11, Head of Form 3 and Year 10 and Head of Form 1 & 2 and Year 9. Their role in turn is to manage class tutors in those year groups ensuring that they manage their Form-groups effectively and professionally, they are actively involved in the Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education (PSHE) curriculum development, management and delivery. They also ensure adequate induction and orientation of new students and staff.
Owing to the many challenges young people face in their daily lives, the school has engaged the services of a professional counsellor. She visits the school on Tuesdays every week from 1.00 pm to 4.00 pm. She has ably assisted the students who have sought her help in matters emotional and psychological. Where follow up is needed, she liaises with the Pastoral division to reach the parents. Sessions with various Year groups and form groups are in the formative stage to help the students with general issues in any field.
Our Careers officer coordinates this department by;
- Exposing our students to different careers and college courses that are of interest to them. For each career, we discuss the corresponding subjects and the requirements that each student needs to meet.
- We hold career talks and fairs for the senior class, both IGCSE and KCSE, during the course of the year at the school. Whenever possible, small groups of students attend Student Fairs in Nairobi.
- Coordination of the subject selection process for Year 9 and Form 2 at the end of their academic years. The students and parents are apprised of the choices that they may take going forward in Year 10 and Form 3 respectively, as they prepare for their final examinations.
- Collection of data from the outgoing Form 4 class so as to complete their Joint Admissions Board applications on-line.
- Speaking to students one-on-one about different careers of interest and help them plan for their future.
Mkass has a qualified full-time school nurse who also doubles up as the matron. She lives on site and handles all medical needs from the well-stocked school infirmary. Any serious medical issues are referred to the Outspan Hospital (Nyeri) and other Medical institutions. The nurse also coordinates the house keeping department and laundry services while still ensuring high standards of hygiene are observed and maintained in the whole school.
PERSONAL, SOCIAL, HEALTH AND ECONOMIC EDUCATION (PSHEE)
This is one of the integral programmes run at MKASS. PSHEE aims at boosting confidence and self-esteem in the students as well as educating them in important life skills and knowledge. The acquired self-esteem encourages students to take up leadership roles, entrepreneurship and innovativeness. It also makes them more conscious of their immediate environment.
Being a Christian school, MKASS offers a holistic dimension to matters of faith however diverse. Each student is encouraged to pursue their quest for spiritual fulfilment in a loving and caring environment.
To capture the above said qualities and virtues the school is involved in the following programmes
- Visiting Chania and Kilimara Primary Schools weekly to help in diverse areas e.g. numeracy, literacy, sports and a robust feeding programme.
- Improving.Improving sanitation standards in public primary schools by building water tanks and encouraging the harvesting of rain water by the said schools.
- Building and stocking libraries in public primary schools in the neighbourhood.
- The school prefects are voted into office by their peers and after careful vetting they receive some training in leadership. The PA (President Award) movement aims at developing both leadership and endurance virtues.
- The Business Studies Club led by Ms. Tabitha Karanja runs a micro finance programme at Chaka Shopping Center to improve the lot of needy women and families.
- The Robotics Club is in itself a vibrant undertaking that’s not only exciting but also encourages creativity and innovativeness.
- The students at MKASS also participate in the Science Fare which exposes them to scientific ventures through research and project development.
Social and Moral Aspect
- The social aspect is also taken care of through bonding trips, Mt. Climbing excursions, Talks from renowned motivational speakers etc.
- The school counselor and selected members of staff are at hand to help guide /help the students in matters relating to sexuality, grooming and interpersonal relationships.
The PSHE programme works very closely with HOY’s, Chaplaincy, Catering, Boarding departments and of course the school administration. Much appreciation to all for the immense support they have willingly given to this department. Senior school students serve a meal to Chania Primary Pupils